I learned a long time ago that the best way to pack makeup on the go is to pack YOUR makeup on the go. With so many sample sizes of premium products these days, you can almost recreate your entire collection in miniature! I traveled with one small bag and a few choice brushes, and never felt like I was compromising during the two weeks I was gone. While I do have to make a few substitutions to my usual products, I built a really great little travel set that I'm sharing with you today.
- Becca Ever-Matte Shine Proof Foundation in Shell - I liked this foundation for travel because it applied easily with fingers. I brought a Beauty Blender but wouldn't again - I didn't use it.
- Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder - Cute little travel size you can usually find at the Sephora counter.
- Kat Von D Lock It Concealer Crème in Light 5 - Nothing battles jetlag eyebags like this stuff!
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - If I didn't have room for this, I would use concealer as an eye primer instead. This is the travel size, though, so it popped in neatly.
- Smashbox Full Exposure Travel Palette - Great mix of mattes and shimmers to do neutral and smokey eyes!
- Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Color in Rose Gold - Nice brow highlight, also works good as a base for light eyeshadow.
- Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Pearl - Full size, but a MUST have. This highlighter kept me looking fresh when I was definitely not.
- Kat Von D Ink Liner in Trooper - Full size, do not leave home without. I also carried a small stick liner as well, but only used once or twice.
- Laura Gellar Baked Blush-n-Brighten in Tropical Hues - This is a travel size; I use the larger version at home in Pink Grapefruit.
- Bobbi Brown Eye Opening Mascara - full size, full lashes are always a necessity for the best photos when you travel!
- Fab Brows DUO Eyebrow Kit - This was a splurge size-wize, but I LOVE it. Benefit's Gimme Brow or Glossier's Boy Brow is a good, smaller alternative.
- ColourPop Ultra Glossy Lip in Finders Keepers - I also brought a Kylie LipKit in Candy K and Mary Jo K, and Glossier's Balm Dot Com to battle chapped lips.
- Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray - For freshening old makeup, and to make everything stay a little better since I was out for 10+ hours at a time.
- Blush Brush
- Highlight Brush
- Large & Small Flat Shadow Brush
- Two Standard Shadow Brushes
- Crease Brush
- Fluffy Blending Brush
- Angled Liner Brush
- Small Fluffy Setting Powder Brush (not pictured)
Traveling with good products meant that I felt more myself when I got ready each day. It took a little time and legwork to put together the perfect small travel set, but at the end of the day I was glad to have quality products as close to what I use at home as possible. There were actually only a few substitutes! I usually use Kat Von D's Lock It Foundation, but it's a pump style package with no lid which made it too messy to travel with. I usually use her Lock It powder as well, but the Laura Mercier was so tiny and cute, so it was easier to throw in my bag than the big pot since the KVD powder hasn't been made in a smaller size.
I also like to buy the smaller versions of palettes I love for travel purposes (or to throw into a makeup bag in my purse). I own the larger Full Exposure palette from Smashbox, so I bought this one for travel. I also recommend the Tarte Tartelette Tease palette and the Naked Basics, both of which have a great range of looks they can make.
What are some of your favorite travel makeup tips?